nicho

Discussion: Changing Guild Leaders

9 posts in this topic

Hello Unnyworld players,

I think it's time we discuss the pros and cons of making all guilds a true democracy. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a quote from the roadmap announcement :

We are going to introduce a brand new guild system soon. Every month guild decides who will be their Guild Master for the next month. All nominees must have a high reputation in the guild to be able to compete for the Guild Master spot.

My opinion
Now I personally think this is not a good direction for the guilds. As a guild leader myself, this means the group of people I've recruited and the work put into making the guild what it is could be completely discredited by another, perhaps more charismatic leader.

Also, guilds are free to join for anybody who meets the requirements. This opens up the possibility for a guild to be taken over by a group of toxic players looking to overthrow the leader. If just some of my more loyal guild members go inactive for a while, I might not get the full amount of votes needed to win. Once someone else is leader, they could just remove me and I'd be left with nothing. This game design that makes for unhappy players. Furthermore, these players are community leaders that are highly dedicated. Through good leadership, successful guilds are made. If I were a poor leader, my guild members would not be loyal and would simply go elsewhere after a while. I don't think a voting system is needed to always check if a guild leader is liked by all the guild. If the guild leader isn't liked, the members will leave on their own accord.

What are your thoughts on making guilds a true democracy? Is this something that we should leave as an option for the guild in deciding how they're run? Comment below with your opinion on the guild system coming soon.

i think they should add a history system for the guild so we can know who joined lately or who left or was kicked and also hope they make a guild shop and donation system that you get special coins from donations that can b done only once a day and with this coins you can buy special items from guilds shop to make guild system more interesting and hope you can also make the leader of the guild assign 3 or 2 officers to be incharge of guild when he is offline and people who applys to a guild should wait till an officer or the leader accepts them or not .

also i think that guild leader should be the only one who is able to assign new leader who he trusts not by players voting ..

thats all what i think should happen to improve guild sysrtem for now.   

I love the ideas @KAIDOU

To clarify, you not only disagree with the democratic guild leader election, but also suggest the following changes:

- Guild history board for members Who joined, left, or were kicked.

I agree with this. It actually appears that Kick notifications arent appearing in guild chat now.

- A guild shop system with a guild currency.

I think a system like this will pair well with the future "guild wars." The roadmap update mentions that high performing guilds will be able to have their own planets, initiating wars on other guilds. This is certainly far down the line, but a great idea for future content. 

- Hierarchy permission system by introducing guild officers.

I agree, promoting people to moderators will be integral as guilds grow altogether. As of now, there's not much management to be done with guilds, so there's not a huge need for officers.

These are all good suggestions for the future of guilds but it's important to keep in mind that these are all luxury changes. The current problem is moving guilds to all be a democratic election. I really think this is a step in the wrong direction and hope that the devs reconsider the idea. As you mentioned Kaidou, there are lots of other ways to improve guilds instead of a constantly changing leader.

Hello. I am also against democratic guild leader election but i also think that the guild leader should not have all the power. For example if the guild leader is mostly off and doesn't help other players, and maybe the members want to stay in that guild and the only problem is the guild leader, then there should be voting. If ALL are against the current guild leader then the title of guild leader is going to somone else that is chosen by the members, and the previous guild leader is automaticly kicked. And i also agree with 

15 hours ago, KAIDOU said:

make the leader of the guild assign 3 or 2 officers to be incharge of guild when he is offline and people who applys to a guild should wait till an officer or the leader accepts them or not .

this can prevent toxic players taking over the guild :) 
and for upgrades i will leave that to the UnnyWorld's team becouse i know they will make great improvements about guilds in the future

3 minutes ago, Niksi said:

Hello. I am also against democratic guild leader election but i also think that the guild leader should not have all the power. For example if the guild leader is mostly off and doesn't help other players, and maybe the members want to stay in that guild and the only problem is the guild leader, then there should be voting. If ALL are against the current guild leader then the title of guild leader is going to somone else that is chosen by the members, and the previous guild leader is automaticly kicked. And i also agree with 

this can prevent toxic players taking over the guild :) 
and for upgrades i will leave that to the UnnyWorld's team becouse i know they will make great improvements about guilds in the future

I don't think that it's right. May be we should introduce some sort of temporary deputy, which will be elected as you said. This deputy will have almost all privileges like  GM, and has possibility to start process to kick current GM.

Also,

If ALL are against the current guild leader

You know, current GM just can add fake accounts to guild to prevent kick.

1 person likes this

May be we should introduce some sort of temporary deputy, which will be elected as you said. This deputy will have almost all privileges like  GM, and has possibility to start process to kick current GM.

This is a great middle ground. A solution like this incentivizes guild leaders to stay active but doesn't turn the game into political lobbying and underhanded persuasion trying to get more votes.

Edited by nicho

Thank you all for the feedback.

I think we weren't clear, because democracy is not the only change. Guilds will have complex changes in all aspects, and in that case democracy will have much more sense than it would have for the current system. I'll try to cover the most important topics here:

1) Guilds will have levels and achievements. Every player give experience to his guild by just playing. The more experience you give to the guild, the higher your rank is.

Each new level of the guild opens new features for all guild members.

2) Only people with the highest rank can be nominated for the new GM and can vote.

3) Guild can be private as well. It means that GM or Officers must approve any new member.

4) GM can't kick people with high rank. He needs to start a vote for that.

All of that will prevent the bad stories like toxic group of people coming and taking the control of the guild, etc. Each player, who plays a lot and helps the whole guild by that wants to feel safe. Because if GM can easily kick him or stop playing at all, the guild and everything what that person was working for will not be gone. Basically, with the new system we want to protect not just GM, but the whole community of guild members. If you are playing a lot and help other people you will be able to become a GM or at least an officer, who has almost the same powers in the new system.

As an option, we can give a future GM to choose which guild he wants to create : Democratic or not. In this case all players will see the type of the guild before joining it and that can be a factor for their decision.

Please tell me what do you think about that? :)

3 people like this

@Pavel Ignatov I like those 4 points you mentioned and specially making guild private and GM can't kick people with high rank. He needs to start a vote for that

Also i think guild member numbers should increase more in the future and also increase guild creation cost because nearly most players are creating guilds once they get the 2000 aqurivium 

and keep your great work..!!:)

15 hours ago, Pavel Ignatov said:

Basically, with the new system we want to protect not just GM, but the whole community of guild members

I think this is a key I hadn't realized before. With the addition of guild experience, levels, and achievements, community members will have a lot more invested into the guild then just their relationships. I understand now why you want to protect all older members of the guild. In this case, I think having higher level players in the guild be protected from kicking and being able to potentially elect a new GM who's more fit is a fair mechanic. Thanks for explaining the big picture.

And a quick sidenote to hit on this -

15 hours ago, Pavel Ignatov said:

we can give a future GM to choose which guild he wants to create

I don't think we should give the option to diversify your guild in such a way. One guild system is good, multiple is unnecessary and overly complex.